As children, we watched with dreamy eyes our mothers applying the ever classic beauty staple. My own mother owned only one single tube of fiery red, saved for those special occasions. Oh I can’t begin to tell you how much red lipsticks mean to little girls.
Red lips are sensual, feminine and very much dramatic. Monika Belluci once said If you are not afraid to be stared at, wear a red lipstick(here).
That’s exactly why we women feel so intimidated by the number one eternal classic because people do stare. Next time you pass by the makeup store, do not demur my darling, please buy yourself that red lipstick, you don’t want to grow old with regrets, trust me.
Today I’ll try to help by disclosing the do’s and don’ts, I’ve learned through years of experience:
- Debunk the right shade for your skin. The fairer the skin tones the lighter the red. Finding the perfect shade needs patience and time, I highly recommend professional counseling to spare both.
- Chapped lips do not look attractive. Moisturize your lips prior to sleeping with a generous amount of lip balm and avoid kissing. Before application, exfoliate your lips with a wet toothbrush.
- Do be modest with the rest of the makeup and avoid at any cost pinkish tones.
- Don’t let it migrate to your teeth. Avoid by sticking a clean finger inside your mouth and pull out.
- Lip liner is your best friend. I personally without firstly lining my lips look like Bobby the clown. Second best friend, is your concealer for defining and deleting any immoderate application. Do not try to conceal your dark under eyes right after. Been there, done that!!!
- Keep the rest of the outfit neutral. If you’re bold enough go crazy with the same shades of your lipstick.
- Do wear your outfit before applying red lipstick.
How adventurous are you with red? Let me know in the comments below if you have any do’s and don’t to add to this ever growing list.