• Red lipstick do’s and don’ts

As children, we watched with dreamy eyes our mothers applying the ever classic beauty staple. My own mother owned only one single tube of fiery red, saved for those special occasions. Oh I can’t begin to tell you how much red lipsticks mean to little girls.

_DSC9993_be funky blog.jpg

Red lips are sensual, feminine and very much dramatic. Monika Belluci once said If you are not afraid to be stared at, wear a red lipstick(here).

That’s exactly why we women feel so intimidated by the number one eternal classic because people do stare. Next time you pass by the makeup store, do not demur my darling, please buy yourself that red lipstick, you don’t want to grow old with regrets, trust me.

Today I’ll try to help by disclosing the do’s and don’ts, I’ve learned through years of experience:

1. Debunk the right shade for your skin. The fairer the skin tones the lighter the red. Finding the perfect shade needs patience and time, I highly recommend professional counseling to spare both.
    2. Chapped lips do not look attractive. Moisturize your lips prior to sleeping with a generous amount of lip balm and avoid kissing. Before application, exfoliate your lips with a wet toothbrush.
    3. Do be modest with the rest of the makeup and avoid at any cost pinkish tones.
    4. Don’t let it migrate to your teeth. Avoid by sticking a clean finger inside your mouth and pull out.
    5. Lip liner is your best friend. I personally without firstly lining my lips look like Bobby the clown. Second best friend, is your concealer for defining and deleting any immoderate application.  Do not try to conceal your dark under eyes right after. Been there, done that!!!
    6. Keep the rest of the outfit neutral. If you’re bold enough go crazy with the same shades of your lipstick.
    7. Do wear your outfit before applying red lipstick.

_dsc0006_be-funky-blog

Wearing the Pupa red lipstick chic brilliant #20 (here), LOVE the Chanel Rouge Troublant (here), LOVE the Lavera Matt’n Red (here), Free people top (here).

How adventurous are you with red? Let me know in the comments below if you have any do’s and don’t to add to this ever growing list.

Cheers,

1. October 19, 2016 / 9:28 am

Own loads since my skintone is matte and end up wearing most of the time the same LOL
      But very good mandatory tips in any case especially the lip liner and the finger for the teeth… Thx for sharing and have a nice day 😉 x

• October 19, 2016 / 9:42 am

Glad you enjoyed the post Golden Lady!

2. October 19, 2016 / 9:54 am

This was really fun reading. I can say, it made my morning! By the way..beautiful lips. But no kissing before bed might be a little difficult 😉
      lots of luv

October 19, 2016 / 10:59 am

Oh what a wonderful post,T. And a laugh out loud moment imagining you as Bobby the clown.
      My Mother wore bright red lipstick, and I was fascinated as to how she applied it. Back then, I think red was the only colour available.
      Kiss, Jo

• October 19, 2016 / 11:08 am

You’re not the only one laughing Jo! My colleagues found hilarious the whole post! In Albania at least red was the only color available. I remember my mother applying it too. Precious memories:) Kiss

October 19, 2016 / 12:56 pm

Precious memories indeed. And I have so many. By the way. I hope M realizes what a stunningly photogenic model he has to photograph. That first one is delicious. And what a pretty crochet top, or dress, that is. Love those sleeves. X

• October 19, 2016 / 12:57 pm

I try to remind him every single day:) It’s actually a top

October 19, 2016 / 2:03 pm

Yes, I’m told that men need to be reminded. If course, It do not believe it. But enough! I’m supposed to be busy. X

• October 19, 2016 / 11:19 am

Thanks so much Katy! Have a great day too:)

4. October 19, 2016 / 11:50 am

I like the red color your chose here – reminds me a deep, red wine. And your tips are spot on 🙂

• October 19, 2016 / 12:55 pm

Thanks so much Marie! Have a great day darling:)

5. October 19, 2016 / 12:28 pm

I have always had trouble in finding the right shade of red for me. Some are too orange-y, some are too dark for my skin and some look like blood on my lips :/ You’re right seeking professional guidance will certainly save time and the patience. You’ve the perfect red pout, so jealous! I am loving your top too, they are so in trend these days 🙂

Come visit us soon
      xx
      Makeup, Style and Sugar

• October 19, 2016 / 12:55 pm

Thanks so much beautiful! Have a great day:)

October 19, 2016 / 12:48 pm

Keeping the rest of makeup natural and natural is a great tip, as it allows the bold lip shade to stand out. Although I have many red lipsticks, I haven’t worn them very often – so thanks for the inspiration! 🙂

• October 19, 2016 / 12:56 pm

You should Gabrielle! Red would look amazing on you! Have a great day my darling:)

7. October 19, 2016 / 1:42 pm

The RED looks sexy on you dear. You look beautiful with light makeup and perfect clothing’s. During my earlier days I used to be hesitant on putting red on my lips and now have the confidence to carry it. It gives the sense of strongness i feel. Lovely post and thanks for visiting my website too. Have a lovely day..:)

• October 19, 2016 / 3:10 pm

Thanks so much Mansi!Glad to hear you turned back to classics 🙂

• October 19, 2016 / 3:11 pm

Thanks so much Daniel! Have a great day as well:)

• October 19, 2016 / 3:11 pm

Thanks so much Rasa! Have a great day:)

8. October 19, 2016 / 4:33 pm

I think red lipstick looks great on you. To be honest, I know that it definitely makes a statement, but red is the only lipstick I ever wear, and I’ve gotten used to it. I love how confident it makes me feel!
      xo
      Siffat

• October 19, 2016 / 4:38 pm

Nice to learn more about you Siffat! Have a great day darling!

• October 19, 2016 / 9:36 pm

Glad you liked it girl!

9. October 19, 2016 / 10:17 pm

Amazing photos! This guide will come in handy for sure. Thanks for sharing

10. October 20, 2016 / 11:30 am

Beautiful post! I haven’t worn red lipstick in a while because it is a daring beauty move that will recognize people’s attention. One tip I personally like to do is after applying the lipstick I will go back with a concealer and just line the lips to make it look more polished.

• October 20, 2016 / 11:33 am

That’s a great tip girl! I’ll make sure to include it in my routine next time 🙂

• October 21, 2016 / 9:30 am

Thanks so much Dominique! Have a great Friday hon

11. October 20, 2016 / 11:23 pm

Red lipsticks are my favorites and I wear this color a lot. Thanks so much for your visit and comment. xoxoxo

• October 22, 2016 / 11:01 am

Thanks so much my Darling!

12. Eniwhere Fashion
      October 31, 2016 / 7:29 pm

Hi T. and thank you for your visit! I like very much this post, you are a really expert of make-up tips!!! Today I have started following you on Google+. Hope you follow me back. What do you think to follow us also on Bloglovin or other socials? Let me know….Have a nice day, kisses,
      Eni

Eniwhere Fashion
      Eniwhere Fashion Facebook

• November 24, 2016 / 11:24 pm

Thanks so much! Glad yo liked the post:)

13. December 14, 2016 / 11:53 pm

great tips 🙂 would love if you could check my blog out and leave feedback

14. February 8, 2017 / 4:50 am

That shade of red is gorgeous and it looks great on you!