• Dirty Fashion Industry-Part 1

It was about time the world to move from the phase of acceptance to the proving solutions phase in terms of the global warming phenomenon and climate change. Last week we watched the Before the Flood movie, curated by Leonardo Di Cabrio and National Geographic. The movie is raw and truthful, brutal and painful to watch.

The environmental biology class, during my studies and the passion of my professor, did not reach the same level of consciousness as this movie. One cannot deny the power of visualization, we’ve been preached to live to the fullest, live in the moment, without regrets (YOLO). I felt blessed when in Italian Alps end of October the thermometer hit the 23°C, looking at the naked mountains now makes me extremely sad. Do you realize that our kids might never see the snow?

_DSC0465 blog.jpg

My dear fashionistas, did you know the fashion industry is the second dirtiest to oil industry and we are wearing and promoting it? It shakes me to the core, that this small blog promotes in anyway unconscious overconsumption. I honestly don’t know how to continue, this past week I’ve been doing lots of research in terms of eco-friendly materials and ways to change my lifestyle. I’ll update you next Sunday on what I’ve learned.

Facts presented by Forbes, regarding fashion industry:

• Nearly 70 million barrels of oil (1 barrel=119 liters) are used to make polyester, the most commonly used polyester. It takes more than 200 years for this fiber to decompose
    • Fashion clothing, which we wear 5 times and discard after 35 days, produce 400% more carbon emissions per year that the ones we wear 50 times and keep for a full year.
    • Cheap synthetic fibers emit gasses like nitrous oxide (N2O), 200 times more damaging than CO2
    • Over 70 million trees are cut each year to create rayon, viscose, modal and lyocell
    • Cotton is the world’s largest pesticide consuming crop
    • Plastic microfibres from our synthetic clothing account for 85% of the human-made material found in the ocean. It makes you want to cry, I know…
    • The fashion industry is the second biggest polluter of freshwater resources
    • A quarter of the chemical compounds currently produced is used in textiles

I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Let’s make it an open discussion. Share your thoughts and this post.

Climate changing concerns us all.

Have a nice Sunday!

• November 6, 2016 / 11:45 am

Glad you liked it Merel!

1. papagay
      November 6, 2016 / 12:43 pm

such a great post! hope you’re having a wonderful Sunday!:D

mfashionfreak♥blog

November 6, 2016 / 3:37 pm

What a sad thought to think our children (or at least children’s children) may not see the beautiful sight of snow. It’s such an important topic and one that’s nice to see discussed on your blog 🙂

• November 6, 2016 / 8:01 pm

Glad you liked it Gabrielle! Would love to see other fashion bloggers discussing such sensitive topics

3. November 6, 2016 / 4:00 pm

Great post, love it! 🙂
      Please check out my blog too. That are absolutely stunning photos!

violaroth.com

November 6, 2016 / 6:49 pm

Well, I was having a lovely Sunday until I read your post. And yes, It made me want to cry. This is an important post T and should run and run. Gain momentum. I’m a long time member of Greenpeace, and although we have gained victories, feel in my heart we are losing the battle.
      In Plato’s Republic, Aristotle was concerned about state of the World. So to the eminent Victorian, John Ruskin and the effects of the Industrial Revolution. And did we act then? NO! Are we acting now?
      Oh, T. I could write pages on this subject. For now, well done you for making us think.
      Kisses, Jo

• November 6, 2016 / 8:03 pm

Sorry to make you sad Jo! Not sorry to have made you or any other person who read this post think.

November 6, 2016 / 8:34 pm

I sometimes think that too many people look at the Planet as if it is a disaster movie. And in the last moments, Superman and Superwoman come and save the World. These people have a shock coming their way. Jo x

5. November 6, 2016 / 8:37 pm

Yes, it’s sad to know this but I think fast fashion is a huge contributor to these fast you brought up. I also heard about Forever 21 being really bad with outsourcing their goods from sweatshop factories. I think society is caring more about being more eco-friendly so hopefully we will see some changes happen in the coming years. My company manufactures ink to the textile industry, and I can definitely say that the industry is trying to move towards an eco-friendly approach.

xoxo

• November 6, 2016 / 10:03 pm

Your comment made me so happy Atsuna! Thankfully there are still bloggers who care out there

6. November 6, 2016 / 8:53 pm

it’s so crazy my friend and I were just talking about this the other day!

I don’t know if you’ve heard about this but Emma Watson is doing this I think it’s called 30 times challenge (or something along those lines on Instagram) where she decides whether or not to buy something if she can wear it 30 times which I think is a great way to start making decisions on whether or not to buy something because like you said people usually wear like 5 times then throw it out. I’ve also personally began really getting into recycling clothing and and instead of buying new clothes or buying from more environmentally friendly brands or buying from secondhand stores and just really being conscientious about what I buy and instead just going shopping for the fun of it only going shopping when I actually need something new.

It’s crazy to think how much the fashion industry really effects the environment and it’s not something people really discuss when they talk about ways to sustain the environment.

I have not seen the film you mentioned but will definitely check it out! Great post on such an important topic!

• November 6, 2016 / 10:05 pm

Thank you so much girl for your thoughtful comment! Let me know how you liked the film. Sending lots of love to you and your girlfriends

7. November 7, 2016 / 10:30 am

first of all – thank u so much for reading my article concerning this topic and commenting on my blog – it meant a lot to me!

your post is great and super interesting – thank u so much for writing and doing all the research! i think it’s so crazy that this is happening and there are still people out there who either just don’t care or deny it. we should all act and help to stop this.

so excited for your second part!

xoxo,
      marie

November 7, 2016 / 4:26 pm

Oh, Tajana. I read this in this week’s TIME magazine. And I quote.
      ‘Global wildlife populations have shrunk by almost 60% in 40 years, according to the World Wildlife Fund. They tell that mammals, birds and fish have all declined because of human activity. The organisation forecast that the world could lose more than two-thirds of wildlife by 2020’.
      This is scary news, and hope I am not too late to get it in your recent post.
      A concerned, Jo x

• November 7, 2016 / 8:31 pm

This is extremely sad:( Thanks for sharing Jo

9. November 8, 2016 / 3:41 pm

Thank you for bringing this to everyone’s attention! I was blind to many of these facts, my eyes are wide open now! WOW.

• November 8, 2016 / 4:32 pm

Glad you liked it girl! Please forward further

10. November 8, 2016 / 7:32 pm

My heart skipped a beat. The numbers are atrocious and in education lies the answer to acting up. I have to say that as blunt as it may sound whenever we have natural disasters I understand that there are too many of us, the planet needs a break.
      In addition to the fashion industry’s malpractices, we have very little citizen participation in important matters, at least in my city. For example, there is a huge mangrove that guards our coasts from natural disasters and they are being sold to then be destroyed for construction of high end buildings…