• Women in Science

In today’s post, I would like to talk how the world perceives females scientists, without a doubt, even in science where people should be distinguished by the beauty of their brain, females do not fail to befall into gender stereotypical roles.

In the past, female researchers were squeezed into quintessential roles based on their appearance and behavior instead of their fundamental contribution to science.Take for example Rosalind Franklin labeled as The Dark Lady of DNA because of the chauvinist remarks make by Watson regarding her appearance. Watson remarked that Rosalind was plain as she never wore a lipstick to contrast her straight dark hair. Marie Curie was portrayed an adulteress-when her husband was killed she advanced on to his married colleague Paul Langevin to secure the legacy as the family of Nobels. Marie Curie has been criticized as a bad mother, although reference of fatherhood devotion of Pierre Curie is of little importance.

The excellent work of female scientists tends to be trivialized by so called innocent remarks on their outer appearance and other so-called female traits that in my opinion belittle their intellectual abilities. Society tends to portray female scientists as eccentric and out of ordinary. As if it’s impossible being a normal woman and a good scientist. Little did Watson know that Rosalind Franklin  was devoted to Christian’s Dior New Look and her underwear was parachute silk.

_dsc5969blog

I know it deep in my heart how a woman feels when she needs to get dressed and face the outside world. In a man-ruled world, we mask our feminity in order to be perceived as a neutral individual. Every time I have a  presentation about my work myriads of thoughts are crossing my mind. Will this outfit make me look stupid? Will they think I devoted more time to my outfit than my work? Would black and grey will make me look sharper?

I will end our T time here today as I wouldn’t want to be tiring. Let me know my darlings on the comments below your thoughts. As always I enjoy reading your comments the most.

Have a great Sunday!

• October 23, 2016 / 4:22 pm

Have a lovely Sunday too Yvonne! Thanks for passing by

October 23, 2016 / 7:31 pm

Oh, wow! what a lovely post. Have only just seen it, as I have been walking in the hills all day. Glorious weather for it too.
      I’m so happy that you mentioned Rosalind Franklin. I would loved to have met her. I can picture her in a Dior’s’New Look’ dress. So feminine and swishy.
      As for looking stupid. Well. I can’t imagine anything you wear would make you look like that. Just be yourself, and smile.
      Wishes for a lovely week.
      Kisses, Jo

2. October 23, 2016 / 8:51 pm

Wow T this is such a good post! I totally agree with you, women shouldn’t be judged about their jobs. If a woman wants to be a scientist it’s such a great thing and it should be as normal as it is for men. I am really fed up with this men-ruled society to be honest. 😉
      Much love, Carmen – http://www.carmitive.com

3. October 24, 2016 / 10:27 am

Morning T. Can relate to it all. At first i really cared about how i dressed up in order to be taken seriously as a scientist, but then somewhere on the way i stopped giving a sh**! Nice read.
      Big HUG!

• October 24, 2016 / 10:28 am

Glad you liked it hon! Have a great week. x

4. October 24, 2016 / 6:09 pm

Great post. I never studied the sciences- I studied music and literature, so we were allowed and encouraged to be as feminine as we wanted. But I always wished the legal students wouldn’t feel so pressured to wear the stereotypical “business” suits. You can be intellectual, intelligent and highly competent AND be fashionable and stylish. They don’t contradict each other, in my opinion.

5. November 6, 2016 / 4:26 pm

So true, I totally agree with you! I’m a female student of technical science college who’s mainly attended by men (about 80%) and I’m thinking about this every time when I have some presentation, but love my studies 😀

• November 6, 2016 / 8:02 pm

Thanks so much for passing by and sharing girl! Hugs