• Dirty Fashion Industry-Part 2

First day of school in Albania was the happiest day of the year, my mother was spoiling me with a brand new outfit. Everything had to be new including socks and underwear, she would let me pick the outfit myself, price wasn’t really an issue for this special outfit, as it was the only clothes my mother would buy me for the rest of the year. I lived on my cousins and kindly passed through generations garments.

Years later I stand before my wardrobe every single day and contemplate on what should I wear. Every single outfit I put together in my mind there is a piece missing, a new garment I need to buy. The need to constantly buy something new worries me I have caught the over-consumption syndrome.

_DSC6449blog.jpg

My dear readers I’ve been doing lots of reading, researching and thinking after our last T time talk. A special thank you to all of you who read the post last week and expressed your interest in the topic, it lights my hope we are citizens of this world and we do care about EARTH.

In case you’re wondering what I’ve found out, continue reading.

Finding Nr. 1

I will need to give up cotton and polyester as they consume lots of energy to produce and cotton is the world’s largest pesticide-consuming crop. This is going to be especially hard on me, I love cotton so much and I can’t think of not wearing cotton undergarments.

Most eco-friendly materials are linen and wool.

Finding Nr. 2

I’ve been into second-hand clothing for a long time now, considering that I have an expensive taste but poor bank account. Buying second-hand items I think is a great way to extend the life of clothing and save money. In case you wonder, what about the employs who support their families by producing new items, I sadly have no answer to that.

Finding Nr. 3

Livia Firth and Emma Watson have been working on eco-friendly projects for a long time now. They suggest before we buy a new pullover or a new pair of boots, we stop for a moment and think; will I wear this for a minimum of 30 times? Will this item I spend my hard earned money on, last to be worn next year as well?

My dear readers fast fashion makes us feel powerful and rich. With little money, we can look as amazing as the girls on TV and magazines. I do believe if you and I adopt environmental conscious attitude, this industry will have to adapt to our needs as well.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the topic. Please don’t shy away!

Have a nice Sunday!

For daily doses of TbyMallano, follow us on Instagram.

Cheers,

1. November 13, 2016 / 1:06 pm

Thanks for writing about this topic. It’s so important, and even though the fashion industry is enormous, I believe we can all make little changes to our own wardrobes and hopefully, these can create positive changes for the environment and the quality of life for factory workers, too <3

• November 14, 2016 / 11:44 am

I am so happy you enjoyed to post Marie and thank you so much for taking the time to comment.
        Moreover thank you for showing that you care, it might not be many of us but I still believe we can make a change.

• November 15, 2016 / 5:40 pm

I think so, too…Sometimes, I think it would be cool to start a thrift store here in Italy, just to encourage people to step away from fast fashion a little bit…

November 13, 2016 / 4:59 pm

What an interesting topic and you’ve absolutely sparked my memory to how the pace of fashion-consumption has changed for us all since childhood. I’ll definitely be keeping your points in mind.

• November 14, 2016 / 11:43 am

It makes me happy you liked the post Gabrielle:)

November 13, 2016 / 9:14 pm

This is another thought inducing post, T. And like you, I have always loved clothes, and looking nice.
      These days I find new clothing to be not well made; of inferior materials and at a cheap price.
      Quality second hand items are more eco friendly; better made, and classic styles never date.
      I feel this is another great topic that I’m going to get back to you with further thoughts.
      Kisses, Jo

• November 14, 2016 / 11:42 am

I am waiting for your thoughts Jo and maybe some new ideas!

November 14, 2016 / 2:24 pm

When you write, ‘new ideas,’ Do you mean more topics for your blog? Or ideas for saving the Planet? The former, probably easier to solve than the latter. X

• November 14, 2016 / 3:07 pm

haha go ahead with new ideas for the blog then. I hope you’re having a good start into the new week Jo:)

4. November 14, 2016 / 4:47 am

This is a really thought provoking post, which makes me want to take a second look at my own closet and the fabrics I’m buying/clothing I’m wearing. Thank you for this!

x Kate

• November 14, 2016 / 11:42 am

Glad you found the post interesting Kate!

November 14, 2016 / 3:44 pm

Haha! No, no. I will stick to thoughts on dirty fashion for now.

November 14, 2016 / 5:34 pm

Recycling clothes and materials:
        In a nearby town there is a lovely little shop that mainly sells small handmade rucksacks and handbags.
        They are made on the premises by the owner, a talented woman who’s skill with design and a sewing machine are incredible.
        Using off cuts of pretty materials. e.g. William Morris designs and similar. The bags are waterproof lined and each one an individual. piece. Not only that. They are not expensive. Approx. £22. And, I think, make a lovely present. Also, she revamps dresses and coats to make them one offs. I have my eye on a rather nice jacket. I’ve tried it on, and its a perfect fit. X

• November 14, 2016 / 5:40 pm

Go ahead and buy it Jo, guilt-free! I bought the burgundy pans from the new post for only 17€. This shop sounds amazing. I wish there was a similar one where I live:)

6. November 14, 2016 / 8:28 pm

Great to read more on the subject as it is also a learning opportunity for me.
      Lately I have been more and more into second hand shopping because my taste is expensive and my pockets are quite shallow..

• November 14, 2016 / 10:44 pm

Mine too girl! Protecting the environment in additon to our pockets is an advantage point

7. November 14, 2016 / 9:38 pm

Thank you for such a thought provoking post! I have grown up on second hand garments and thrift shopping! It was the way I was raised. I still enjoy it as an adult and pass the idea to my girls. Keep up the great work!
      xo Debbie | http://www.tothineownstylebetrue.com