• Next East European stop: Budapest

_dsc1161_be-funky-blog

I will confess that I rather enjoy  East European countries better than any other European country honestly. The reasons are countless, be it that they are fairly unexplored due to being ruled by communism until the 90s. If you decide to visit an East European country you shall be prepared to dive in rare glimpses of old European glamor, rich history and architecture. Times has stopped in those countries and few old traditions are well preserved, the West feels very far.

Where we stayed:

We stayed at Roombach Hotel Budapest Center and I believe it must be the best hotel I’ve stayed in. It wasn’t only because of the good breakfast, clean room and location. The service, the people were the kindest and that’s what matter’s after all.

What we ate:

The Hungarian cuisine is actually quite heavy in terms of calories and meat. I would recommend visiting HB Lounge and Bar not only for the food but the view. We had the best Japanese food (in Hungary!) at Nobu restaurant. While this part of Europe does not enjoy the same economic prosperity as the rest of Europe, in terms of entertainment you shall expect the best at a rather fair price. Another interesting place we tried was Edeni Vegan restaurant. I had never tried vegan or raw vegan before, I can’t even name some of the ingredients, but it tasted good.

What to wear:

This is where things will get interesting. I was telling M. the other day, next time I visit Russia I need to pack my prettiest clothes with me. East European women are truly stunning and take very good care of themselves. I would rather advise you in addition to pretty clothes, pack comfortable shoes for Budapest, attention cobblestone pavements!

Where to shop:

I honestly did not pay much attention to shops but I did manage to buy a pair of vintage 70s velvet trousers at Ludovika.You will notice the usual suspects such as Zara and H&M on the main shopping streets. I would recommend visiting Young Hungarian Fashion Designers shops as well. M. experienced a traditional barber haircut at this very retro look place, women not allowed inside!

Impressions:

Budapest can be distinguished into two parts by the Danube river, Buda and Pest. Buda is by far the most beautiful part.

With M. speaking Russian we can easily get around in east European countries, it hasn’t  been the case in Budapest. Hungarian belongs to the Uralic language family and it doesn’t ring like anything I’ve heard before. In fact, I found it very hard to keep up with the history city guides, as I couldn’t actually apprehend even the names of historical figures.

Nevertheless, I was very impressed to learn Hungary had been for nearly 2 centuries under the Ottoman empire. Excluding the traditional Turkish baths, there are no other traces of the Ottoman conquest, by that I mean no churches converted into mosques. If you do wonder how in heaven’s name I thought this sort of things. Albania was under the Ottoman empire for 4 centuries, the dark ages as it’s named in our history books.

_DSC1155 blog.jpgblog

The Liberty bridge

blogblogblog

Taxis in Budapest are yellow, it exudes New York vibes, doesn’t it?!

blogblogblogblog

The Buda castle

blogblog

View of the parliament from the HB Lounge & Bar

blog

The parliament

blogblogblogblog

The barber shop

blog_DSC1587 be funky blog.jpg

The highlight of this trip for me was a glass of wine while listening to live music (you did as well through my Instagram stories). High ceiling, sparkly chandelier and the angelic voice of the 60s pinup girl. A boy sitting shoulder to shoulder with a girl, counting on good health and many more trips to come.

1. November 18, 2016 / 11:56 am

…so i guess i need to visit Buda and Pest :-)! Always a pleasure, thanks for the nice summary.

November 18, 2016 / 5:39 pm

Well. After reading that, I must make a return visit. And not to work.
      I agree. Russian women, and women in general, from that part of the World, know how to dress and look good. I wish more did here.
      I’m thinking, M has got the hang of using the new camera. Great photos.
      Love, Jo x

• November 19, 2016 / 11:20 am

Thanks so much Jo! Have a great weekend. M. is getting really good isn’t he? I think he enjoys is even more now and does street photography as well

3. November 18, 2016 / 10:31 pm

I totally agree ! my last trips have been to Eastern Europe and whenever I can I tell people to go directly there… however they always argue about having to see Paris or Madrid. I too think that Eastern Europe is full of surprises and hidden treasures.

• November 19, 2016 / 11:21 am

Glad someone else agrees with me:)

November 19, 2016 / 2:35 pm

I can appreciate why you’d enjoy East European countries more as they have so much to offer, and so much still undiscovered! This travel diary is really beautiful, you’ve captured Budapest in such a romantic and intriguing light. It’s still on my travel wishlist and this makes me want to visit all the more 🙂

• November 21, 2016 / 11:47 am

Thanks so much Daniel!

5. November 19, 2016 / 9:09 pm

Budapest looks absolutely beautiful. I was supposed to go 2 years back when I went to Prague and Vienna, but I had to come back to Toronto for work and ended up missing Budapest. It’s on my bucket list and these pictures are tempting me to book a flight there now!
      xo
      Siffat

• November 21, 2016 / 11:48 am

I believe Budapest is quite similar to Prague and Vienna and yet very different. You should visit next time you come to Europe girl:)

6. November 19, 2016 / 9:46 pm

Oh my, Budapest looks stunning! Those pictures are absolutely gorgeous! It’s so nice that you guys get to travel often, the places you visit are gorgeous! And it’s interesting to learn some more history about it, I would love to visit just to learn about its history, and to go shopping of course!

Francesca

• November 21, 2016 / 11:47 am

Budapest is very beautiful! We do try to travel as much and we are lucky to live in the heart of Europe. There are many nice places to visit only a few hours away

7. January 3, 2017 / 9:43 am

Wow!! The photographs are so amazing,so beautiful and your writing really transports me to some other world!! It seems almost magical 🙂

• January 3, 2017 / 9:54 am

Glad you liked the post Sana!

8. January 5, 2017 / 6:44 pm

Oh, those photos are stunning!!
      Your writting is very nice, you described Budapest perfectly, we were in Budapest twice, last time it was so cold, but as we love long walks we were stuborn and we have walked those streets all day 🙂
      Budapest always reminds me on mulled vine 🙂

Maja