• A day in Würzburg

The beauty of Würzburg took me by surprise even this time of the year! It is located in the North of Bavaria and it’s most popular for dry white wine, derived from Silvaner grapes. I personally love the Würzburger Riesling from the Bürgerspital, comes in the cutest flat bottle.

I wouldn’t want to bore you but I must share all I’ve learned about this special city.  It is located on both sides of Main river, found frozen last Saturday and the symbol of the city is the Marienberg fortress, sadly we didn’t manage to visit this time.

_DSC0011 blog.jpg_DSC4515 blog.jpg

You can’t miss the Old Town Bridge in Würzburg, I’ve visited the city 3 times now and it’s been always full with people. The restaurant Alte Mainmühle, apart from exquisite views of the fortress and river offers to customers wine to drink on the bridge. On wine glasses please, Würzburg is all about class! Traumatized European tourists who had one too many styrofoam drinks and plastic cutlery in USA raise a hand.

_DSC0015 blog.jpg_DSC0016 blog.jpg_DSC4509 blog.jpg_DSC4525 blog.jpg_DSC9964 blog.jpg_DSC4544 blog.jpg

I’m usually not easily impressed with historical museum buildings, Hermitage of Saint Petersburg has ruined me for all. We spend hours past the light in the Residence of Würzburg attraction, the beauty of this place took our breath away.

We all are very familiar with WWII history, I walk the streets of my city each day reading Stolperstein names, WWII is not forgotten in this country. About 90% of Würzburg was bombed in about 17 minutes by the British airforce. It’s very remarkable really how beautifully and precisely have many cities been restored in Germany. There is something to be said about the German women post-war, they’ve restlessly built a whole country on their own, most men were either dead or war prisoners.

Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take pictures inside of the residence (apart from one) due to the danger of destroying the frescos with the camera flash. Our travel guide explained, us how difficult it was restoring the place as most of the building techniques and art forms have been historically lost.

There is a room in the Residence created entirely of lavishly painted glass, completed melted due to the high temperatures engulfing the place during the bombing. It took about 3 million Euros to rebuild, the government refused to spend taxer’s money but started a State Lotto instead, the profit was used for restoration.

_DSC9963 blog.jpg_DSC9966 blog.jpg_DSC4551 blog.jpg_DSC9970 blog.jpg

We are great food recommendations for Würzburg, keep in mind restaurants in Germany are closed between 14pm-18pm, we ended up in a touristic restaurant Würzburger Ratskeller and were pleasantly surprised how good the food was.

If life ever brings you to Bavaria, add Würzburg in your itinerary. I would recommend summer season, you’ll be amazed by the green vineyards surrounding this city. Spoil yourself a glass of white wine and gorge in the view and people watching.

We shared a small video on Instagram as well! Hope you like it:)

Photography by Bulatov Maks

January 27, 2017 / 10:25 am

Sounds like you are having a lovely big adventure through the castle towns. I remember being here, too.
      Women workers of the World. Where would we be without them? It was the same here, T. In the two World wars, women worked long hours in the factories, and on farms and in the fields, and earning money. They were not best pleased when the men came home and wanted their jobs back.
      Hugs, Jo

• January 27, 2017 / 5:03 pm

Did you try the wine, Jo? Interesting topic you are tackling here. I was reading an article about the post-war TV propaganda to recruit women back to the kitchen in the 60s, the other day. My mom is leaving tomorrow actually, unfortunately, we didn’t make it to the Neuschwanstein Castle. Due to extreme cold, she had paining joints. Have a great weekend! Hugs

January 27, 2017 / 5:40 pm

I think I sampled most of the German wines during my many visits. When you say, ‘interesting topic I’m tackling here.’ do you mean I should expand on this, or know my place, and get on with my housework?
          I’m so sorry to learn of your Mom’s painful joints. It is so debilitating, and I don’t know how to remedy the problem, other than moving to a warmer, drier country. And that’s easier said than done.
          Have a beautiful weekend.
          Hugs, Jo

• January 27, 2017 / 10:56 pm

I mean please do expand! You have beautiful way with words Jo:)

January 27, 2017 / 3:10 pm

What a spectacular place – and photography! Each and every image seems to tell a story. I love your coat and glove combination (nude on nude looks so chic!) and I’m blown away by the historic architecture in this post. Just incredible!

3. January 27, 2017 / 5:31 pm

Wow, this looks like such a wonderful and educational experience! The architecture of the buildings are incredible and the history even more so; I’ve always taken a liking to history and I’m sure there were many feelings surrounding such a place that experienced such violence during WWII. I have to say, you sharing the hours that German restaurants open just made me think about how much too fast paced we are in the US, I don’t like it at all. I’ve noticed form reading a lot of European based blogs, as well as talking to my mom who works at the UN that the quality of life just seems better overall in Europe, I hope we can someday take some lessons and slow down. Thanks so much for sharing, beauty, and I hope you have a great weekend ahead!

XO,

Jalisa

4. January 27, 2017 / 6:44 pm

Looks like an amazing day trip T.
      I recall the name Wurzburg, maybe from street signs or else, during my short stay in Germany.

• January 27, 2017 / 10:57 pm

It was indeed very beautiful Lorena! Sweet and short:)

5. January 27, 2017 / 11:21 pm

Beautiful outfit! Good job! <3
      Please check out my blog too. That are absolutely stunning photos!

violaroth.com

6. January 28, 2017 / 12:54 am

You look absolutely gorgeous darling!!! That coat looks perfect on you! Love the entire look! Happy weekend! Much love, Len http://www.lenparent.com

January 28, 2017 / 3:48 pm

Aw, stop it. You know how easily I blush.
      I thought I’d comment on some women here whom became pilots, and ferried new aeroplanes from the factory to the airfields, here and abroad.
      Now, most of the male RAF pilots trained to fly one type of aeroplane only. However, the brave and adventurous young women learned to fly every type of aeroplane single handed. Once a young woman landed a huge bomber, and as she stepped onto the runway, the station commander came and asked to speak with the pilot. When she said it was her, he did not believe her; climbed in the plane and found it empty. He emerged most embarrassed. X

8. Amy Arnold
      January 28, 2017 / 11:47 pm

It really is pretty! Great photos!

Amy Ann
      Straight A Style

9. busyandfab
      January 30, 2017 / 2:30 am

Looks like a beautiful place even on winter, I like how you look too, your coat and jeans are nice.

10. January 30, 2017 / 4:33 am

Love the architecture and the history of the castles! Just incredible, and the photography you take tells amazing stories!
      xo, Yasmin

11. January 30, 2017 / 1:25 pm

I am so happy to finally see all the photos from this amazing place, Würzburg! Wonderful job capturing the beauty and essence of this place and its remarkable history! I am amazed to hear about the remarkable post war work of German women, such a valuable information! I really wonder how they did it. I have read a similar story about the women in France after world war II. I would really love to visit one day with you!
      Thanks so much for sharing and have a great start to the week my dear Tatjana!
      xoxo

• February 3, 2017 / 11:34 pm

Happy you like them😊

Author
        April 23, 2017 / 9:47 am

Thanks so much for you kind comment! It makes me so happy to hear you like my blog:)