• A guide to second-hand online shopping

_DSC1533 blog.jpg

If you’ve been around my blog for a while you will know I am a passionate second-hand garment buyer. The reasons are countless; cost-effective, environment-friendly and as a romantic soul I see clothing more than just that but a history continuation.

Today I would like to share with my guide to second -hand online shopping as it is a sort of gambling most of the times. You will be amazed how many items from current collections are available on online second-hand retailers. Why not make two people happy at the same time?! Be aware online shopping does require lots of patience and I consider it relaxation time, most people would NOT.

Here are a few things you need to know, save yourself precious time and money:

1. Pay attention to pictures and do ask the sellers for additional detailed ones. I prefer to have the clothing worn by the seller and I do ask for body measurements. I am a meticulous, annoying buyer I know…
    2. In addition, I personally like to check more pictures about the fitting on other normal people, aka bloggers.
    3. Take your time deciding and do not forget the 30 times rule.
    4. Negotiate on the price. I kindly ask if the seller would go down on the price, some do, others not. Asking hasn’t hurt anyone.
    5. Do ask how ofter has the item been worn and pray for an honest reply. I personally have been a couple of times disappointed with used items beeing sold as new.
    6. Avoid cosmetics and shoes! Attention herpes and fungi.
    7. Avoid easily copied items such as sunglasses and designer bags.
    8. Fresh accounts without any reviews selling Valentino Garavani for 200โ‚ฌ (new 1500โ‚ฌ), pop up like mushrooms after rain on eBay and will surely break your heart.
    9. I might sound very adventurous but I am not, preferably I shop brands I know they fit. Do try the brand you are interested in, real time, research is of extremeย  importance here.
    10. If the clothing doesn’t fit, don’t dwell on it, sell it further and make another person happy.

I would love to hear if there is anyone in the crowd sharing the same passion with me. Any additional remarks are very welcomed on TbyMallano.

Cheers,

1. November 25, 2016 / 10:05 am

HeyT. What is the 30 times rule? I hoe this is not a stupid question…
      And thanks for the tips. You know i love second hand hunting myself ๐Ÿ™‚
      Big HUG!!!

• November 25, 2016 / 10:10 am

If you like to buy something, think would I be able to wear it for 30 times? Would the cloth be robust and likeable enough? Thanks hon, hope it helped and done forget to negotiate:)

2. November 25, 2016 / 12:41 pm

Could you do a post on the sites where you find your second-hand items? ๐Ÿ™‚

• November 25, 2016 / 12:48 pm

Of course! I’ll do ASAP

3. November 25, 2016 / 2:39 pm

I love discovering second hand gems too! The 30 times rule is golden! Great tips my dear tatiana, you are really smart and savvy fashionista! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing!
      Love,

4. November 25, 2016 / 4:54 pm

Hi Tatjana, I have to admit although I am an avid on line shopper I have not purchased anything second hand on line for a while. Unfortunately for me most vintage items I’ve bought I’ve had to alter because they were too big and alterations were rather expensive. On other items they were just too small.. Where I live vintage is not appreciated so I could not resell and the mail/postal system is almost un existing meaning I cannot resell on line either..
      I never use the 30 rule, but I should begin to ! Thanks for the tips.

5. November 26, 2016 / 4:38 pm

Great tips. I love second hand shopping, there are so many bargains out there to be had! You just have to be careful who you buy from.

6. November 27, 2016 / 9:36 pm

These are great tips! I am an avid second-hand shopper, but I don’t do too much online! Maybe I’ll start getting into it soon, as shuffling through racks and racks of clothing at thrift stores can be a little time consuming. It’s just so worth it when you find a beautiful item at so little cost!

Francesca

7. November 28, 2016 / 8:30 am

Great advice! I actually never tried second hand online shopping but it would definitely save me tons of $$ !

Macarons and Mischief

8. December 1, 2016 / 10:17 am

I love how you looked at second-hand from another point of view – making two people happy! This is so true ๐Ÿ™‚ I will definitely stick to those tips next time I buy a vintage piece!
      xx, Carmen – http://www.carmitive.com